- Global wine production is 28.4 billion litres of which Canada represents 0.5% (100% Canadian/VQA and ICB)
- Global wine export value is $33.3 billion of which Canada represents 0.3%
- Global wine export volume is 11.7 billion litres of which Canada represents 0.7%
- Globally, top 5 wine exporters by value are France, Italy, Spain, Chile and Australia. Canada is ranked 26th in world in export value.
- In 2016, Canadian bottled wine exports totaled 1.86 million litres, valued at $34.7 million.
- Exports of Canadian bottled wine have grown from $31.4 million in 2012 to $34.7 million in 2016.
- Exports of Canadian bottled wine over the period 2012‐2016 have increased in value by 10.4%. Top bottled wine export markets by value include China, the United States, Taiwan, South Korea and the UK.
Wine Export Statistics
- Canada is the world’s largest consistent producer of Icewine, with annual harvest temperatures dropping to ‐8C and colder
- In 2016, Icewine represented 24.2% of total export value ($19.4 million) and 0.5% of export volume (336,355 litres)
- Ontario is Canada’s largest exporter of Icewine valued at $17.1 million followed by British Columbia at $1.8 million
Icewine Export Statistics
Canadian Wine Imports
- Volume of imported bottled wine in 2016 totaled 295.1 million litres valued at $2.23 billion
- Top 10 bottled wine import markets in 2016 were the United States, France, Italy, Australia, Spain, Chile, New Zealand, Argentina, Portugal and South Africa, representing 97.4% of import value and 97% import volume
Wine Imports Statistics
Control and Sale of Alcoholic Beverages
This Statistics Canada report analyzes the sales of alcoholic beverages in Canada and sets out, in detail, government revenue derived from the control and sale of alcoholic beverages. The publication is an excellent source of information on sales patterns of alcoholic beverages in Canada.